Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Student Work - AP 2D Studio Art

There is a wonderful little book I bought years ago entitled "Inspirations for Embroidery Mail - Book of Days" by Jytte Harboesgaard and Debra Virgens. The two women began embroidering equilateral triangles and sent them to each other as a form of communication. After many years, they had 48 embroideries that were collected into an exhibit at The Danish Museum of Decorative Art in Copenhagen. A small sampling of their efforts is displayed as a triangle montage.

I gave my AP Studio art students an assignment based on this idea...take a geometric shape and explore pattern, design and color in your own piece. I feature K.C.'s terrific solution, sans color, but with such strong design and precision of line the color is not needed. Her exploration is innovative and exciting! Bravo K.C.!!

3 comments:

Jay Sparro said...

this is a beautiful artistical rendition of transforming something as simple as a circle into a true work of art, exploring what u can do with just a simple 2 dimensional shape, adding texture an life to the art, good job K.C..

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the circular piece with the little closing things obstructing the view of the circle. It looked like a telescope kind of thing, and was really cool for black and white with about the same thickness of line everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ms. Miller! I really enjoyed making this and I liked the simplicity of the medium. While I love painting and working with color, plain pen and paper really lets me get into more detailed work. Plus, it's easy to learn (assuming you know how to hold a writing utensil), portable, and no hassle to set up or put away.