Follow Me on Pinterest

Friday, June 23, 2006

Artist of the Week - Gustave Baumann

A friend asked me about the calendar reproductions I have of Gustave Baumann in my bathroom, causing me to research him for this week's feature artist. I admire his work tremendously - woodblock prints that have great depth and texture, works that vividly show the colors and the air of the American Southwest (one of my favorite places), and an incredible sense of design in his compositions while reflecting the natural world around us. Analyzing one piece of his could keep you busy all day! The fact that he builds his images layer by layer gives me great appreciation for his skill and patience as an artist. If you happen to be traveling to Santa Fe this next year, check out the exhibit of Baumann which runs to Sept. 9, 2007! Here's a link to the info: http://www.mfasantafe.org/display.php?menu=view_exhib&ex_id=40

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed!

Anonymous said...

Christine...

I love Gustave Baumann's prints - I learned about them during my first Dallas job working for an antique map and print dealer. Great blog...would love to see you. Katherine