Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Gum Art


As a high school art teacher, I have had the distinct pleasure of having lunch pizza parties in my classroom for the last two days with anywhere from 40-100 kids diving for pizza slices like it was the last food on the planet. Admittedly, they were hungry. However, I have come to the conclusion that an adult MIGHT be able to get ALMOST anything they want from a teenager

IF they have pizza as the reward. I digress. It was AFTER the pizza party today, during our studio art critique, that I noticed a bottle of water on one of the tables with a VERY carefully placed piece of chewed gum on top of the unopened bottle top. Obviously it was to be rechewed after the yummy pizza. At first glance, we said "uhhhhg" (as any self-respecting gentile student or teacher might say), but then, later I remembered this site I stumbled upon late the night before as I was searching for random food art (a popular medium on my blog - i.e. the most comments about...). Yes, this site has an amazing display of artwork created from chewed gum. The important statistics (how many pieces, how long it took to accumulate, etc.) are there. The range of work is impressive. I might even go out on a limb and say this is my favorite site in a while ( and I LOVE everything)! So...now I am sorry I pitched that bottle & chewed gum away...I could have started collecting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, that was interesting. I guess with imagination anything can be turned into "art" I think I lack some of the necessary imagination. B

Kaylyn said...

Haha that's so gross but at the exact same time, so very interesting! You really can use the most random things to make art with...