Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, February 26, 2012

STEM to STEAM - Adding the Arts to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics


New stem to steam presentation
View more presentations from tagartteacher.

Video links that may not work in slide 3 of uploaded presentation:
Sir Ken Robinson's video - RSA Animate Changing Education Paradigms


Nick Okafor from the School for the Talented and Gifted in Dallas ISD coordinated a STEM to STEAM Festival last Saturday bringing students, parents and members of the community together to discuss the importance of adding the Arts to a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) curriculum.  You can visit Nick's STEAM Through Education website here.

Nick asked me to make a presentation about the importance of the Arts in education as well as strategies to incorporate the arts into STEM curriculum.  Attached is my presentation.  I am grateful to Nick for inviting me as I am learning more about it myself.  Plano ISD is set open a STEAM Academy fall of 2013 and I have a lot of interest in it.  Not just because it's in my school district, but also because I think this is one of the most exciting times to be in education.

There is a strong movement across our country to change the way we teach our children.  Our students want their education to be relevant, collaborative, include the technology that rests in their hands, and be more student-directed.   Fortunately the Arts do all of that and much more!  Please join me in the rethinking of our children's education.  Find out what's going on in your community and support the efforts of your schools in changing education to meet the needs of our students in the 21st century!

No comments: